Searching around in a handbag, trying to find your phone or keys, when you have a physical disability or dexterity issues can be frustrating. In 2018, Samantha Renke, a disability rights activist and actress, created a stylish and wheelchair compatible handbag that has problem-solved the challenges disabled women endure with their handbag. It is called the Samantha Bag.
Today, we are excited to announce that the handbag is available in five new colours and a larger size!
To purchase the Sam Bag visit the Disability Horizons Shop
Samantha Renke has Osteogenesis Imperfecta and she has shown that her disability does not get in the way of her career. In 2019, Sam was named in The Shaw Trust’s Power 100 list of the UK’s most influential disabled people, for talking openly in the media about issues surrounding ableism, bullying, patronising attitudes and body image.
Fashion is a huge part of Sam’s life and she created the Samantha Bag to make fashion accessible to all. The design includes easy to reach compartments whilst maintaining pure elegance.
Since its launch, the Samantha Bag has become very popular amongst wheelchair users because of its glamourous look and incredible accessibility features, which include;
- Insulated bottle holder to help you stay hydrated.
classic maximum bottle size – 260ml
extra maximum bottle size – 500ml.
- High-contrast interior lining to make finding items easier.
- Hidden zip-pocket for private/sensitive items.
- Mobile phone and pen pockets to stop you having to search for them.
- Large, fabric zip-pulls that are easy to use if you have dexterity issues.
- Elasticated key chain to stop you from losing important and regularly-used items.
- Matching removable clutch bag with wrist strap.
- Long shoulder strap with mobility clips to attach it to a wheelchair or wear across the body.
- A bag for all occasions and seasons, an amazing 21 colours to choose from.
The beautiful classic-sized Samantha Bag is now also available in blush, olive, tan and burnt orange that will compliment your clothes wonderfully as we enter into Spring. There are an amazing 21 colour ways to choose from!
New to the Disability Horizons shop is a larger size Sam handbag in gold, silver and metallic grey. A perfect sized bag if you’re going for a long day out, Covid-19 permitting of course.
All Samantha Bags come with free Trabasack side straps, which can be used to hang it from the back of a wheelchair or secure it to your waist.
Customer reviews of the Sam Bag
“Good quality and exactly as promised. Love the organiser inside. At last, I can find my car keys.”
“This is my third Samantha bag – I find it’s a perfect size. It holds everything I need with room to spare, but is quite compact and comfortable to carry or wear across my body.”
“Perfect size for my needs. Lots of useful pockets and a good range of colours.”
To view the full array of colours of the Samantha Bags we have in store, head over to the Disability Horizons Shop.
By Stephanie Castelete-Tyrrell
More on Disability Horizons…
- Take a look at Trabasack’s Curve Wheelchair Lap Tray on the Disability Horizons Shop
- The Trabasack Media Mount Device is available on the Disability Horizons Shop
- View our adaptive clothing range on the Disability Horizons Shop