Unspillable Trays: Tipsi Tray, Topple Tray, and Swinging Tea Tray
For many people, carrying drinks or food on a tray can be a daunting task. It’s all too easy to spill your drinks and make a mess, especially if you’re carrying them over a distance or in a crowded space. Also, you may need one hand to open doors or hold a banister or may have, tremors or a disability that affects one of your hands and are “one-handed”. That’s where unspillable trays come in. With their unique designs and features, these trays make it easy to carry drinks and food without any spills or mess. In this article, we’ll introduce you to three of the best unspillable trays on the market: the Tipsi Tray, the Topple Tray, and the Swinging Tea Tray. But firstly, how do they work?
How do unspillable trays work?
Imagine you’re holding a tray full of drinks and you start to swing it around in a circle. When you swing the tray, the drinks try to keep going in a straight line, but the tray is in the way and pulls them toward the centre of the circle. This force that pulls the drinks towards the centre is called centripetal force.
If the centripetal force is strong enough, it can keep the drinks from spilling even when the tray is swinging fast. This is because the force is pulling the drinks towards the centre of the tray, which is where they need to be to stay balanced.
So, the next time you’re swinging a tray of drinks around, just remember that the centripetal force is keeping them from spilling by pulling them toward the center of the circle!
Still confused? Maybe this video can explain it better!
What types of unspillable trays are available?
On the Disability Horizons Shop we only choose the best (!) and have found three options for no-spill trays. Two of the options are made by Single Handed Products and a third option is made in the UK by bespoke furniture makers Griffin and Sinclair:
The Tipsi Tray is an innovative serving tray that allows you to carry up to nine drinks with a single hand. Unlike traditional two-handed trays, the Tipsi Tray is designed to be held from above, which means that the drinks and food on the tray swing beneath the handle. Here are some of the features and benefits of the Tipsi Tray:
- Gravity balance design: The Tipsi Tray is held from above, which means that the drinks and food on the tray swing beneath the handle. This unique design helps to keep the tray balanced and prevent spills.
- Super safe and stable: The Tipsi Tray is made from food-grade stainless steel, which makes it extremely strong and durable. This tray will last a lifetime and is much stronger than cheaper plastic trays.
- Dishwasher-safe and removable handle: The Tipsi Tray has a fully collapsible design, which makes it easy to store away. The handle is also removable, which means that you can put the tray in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
- No-spill edges and gripped surface: The Tipsi Tray is made from polyurethane with a rubberised coating, which means that items on the tray won’t slip even while in motion.
The Tipsi Tray is perfect for anyone who needs to carry drinks and food with one hand. Whether you’re holding a banister, opening a door, or using a walking cane, the Tipsi Tray allows you to stay safe while carrying your items. Also, it was featured on Dragons Den!
The Topple Tray is another great unspillable tray that has a unique design. This tray features a removable neoprene grippy surface that can be lifted off to reveal a metallic tray beneath. Here are some of the features and benefits of the Topple Tray:
- Gravity balance design: Like the Tipsi Tray, the Topple Tray is held from above, which helps to keep the tray balanced and prevent spills.
- Folding and locking handle: The new stainless steel handle folds down on top of the tray and locks in an upright position, which makes it easy to store the tray away. When the handle is upright, it is strong and secure.
- Lightweight: The Topple Tray weighs only 750 grams (26 ounces), which makes it much lighter than the original Tipsi Tray. This tray is easier to carry and is better suited for older people or those with difficulty carrying heavier objects.
- Non-spill edges and gripped surface: The Topple Tray is made from stainless steel with a rubberised coating, which means that items on the tray won’t slip even while in motion.
- Folding and locking handle: The stainless steel handle of the Topple Tray can be folded down on top of the tray and locked in an upright position for easy storage. The handle is also strong and secure when in the upright position
The Topple Tray is a great choice for those who need to carry drinks and food with ease, especially those who may have difficulty carrying heavier objects or suffer from tremors or dexterity, balance, or strength disabilities
The Swinging Tea Tray is a unique unspillable tray that is handmade in the UK from sturdy ash ply. It features a low center of gravity design to keep the tray stable and prevent unwanted spillages. Here are some of the features and benefits of the Swinging Tea Tray:
Low centre of gravity design: The Swinging Tea Tray’s unique design helps to keep the tray stable and prevent unwanted spillages. Handmade in the UK: The tray is handmade in the UK by Griffin and Sinclair Bespoke Furniture, which has been rated the number one bespoke furniture maker in the UK by the Independent Newspaper.
Lightweight design: The Swinging Tea Tray is very lightweight, 700g, making it great for those who suffer from tremors, Parkinson’s, or other dexterity, balance, or strength disabilities. Carry with one hand: The tray can be carried with one hand, allowing the other hand to be used to open doors or use a banister for support.
Suitable for those with a Limb Difference: The Swinging Tea Tray is ideal for those with a limb difference or someone who needs to use a walking stick or handrail to steady themselves with one hand while carrying a tray with the other. Using the cords to hold the tray gives more options than the rigid handles of the other trays above.
Environmental Credentials: Sometimes these things are difficult to weigh up, but this tray is made from wood in the UK in a traditional carpentry workshop. It is made to order and not mass-produced overseas.
Which Unspillable tray will you choose?
Unspillable trays are a great solution for those who need to carry drinks and food without spills or mess. The Tipsi Tray, Topple Tray, and Swinging Tea Tray are all excellent options with unique features and benefits. Whether you need to carry drinks and food with one hand, prefer a lightweight design, or need a tray suitable for those with disabilities, there is an unspillable tray that will suit your needs.
|Swinging Tea Tray
|Circular 11 inches in diameter
|Circular 14 inches in diameter
|Rectangular L 45cm x W 30cm x H 2cm
|Stainless steel and polycarbonate
|Stainless Steel with a folding handle and neoprene base
|Wooden – Solid ply Ash, and hemp cord
|Small plates cups and mugs
|large traditional tea tray sized!
|Commonly used in
|Home settings, cafes, restaurants, cocktail bars
|Home settings and casual gatherings, beer gardens, restaurants, busy pubs, and bars
|Home settings, restaurants, and tea rooms
Unspillable Trays FAQ
Q: What is an unspillable tray?
A: An unspillable tray is a type of tray designed to keep items from spilling or tipping over, even if the tray itself is tilted or turned upside down. It only works if you hold the handle loosely and avoid jolts. It’s not 100% unspillable, that’s poetic license!
Q: How do unspillable trays work?
A: Centripetal force helps keep the liquids in their cups and bowls. A nonslip surface can help too.
Q: What are some common uses for unspillable trays?
A: Unspillable trays can be used in a variety of settings, from restaurants and bars to homes and outdoor events. They’re particularly useful for people with tremors and unsteady gait, or at crowded events or pubs and beer festivals.
Q: Are unspillable trays expensive?
A: The cost of an unspillable tray can vary depending on the design and materials used. Some models may be more expensive than traditional trays, but others are relatively affordable considering the robust design and durability.
Q: Can unspillable trays be washed in a dishwasher?
A: Some unspillable trays are dishwasher safe the tipsi and topple trays are dishwasher safe, the Swinging tea tray needs to be wiped or washed by hand and not immersed in water.
Q: Are unspillable trays environmentally friendly?
A: Again, this depends on the specific tray and its materials. Some unspillable trays are made from eco-friendly materials, while others may not be as sustainable. It’s always a good idea to do some research and choose a tray that aligns with your values. The tipsi tray is made of stainless steel and polycarbonate which is not plastic, it will last a lifetime or longer. The Topple tray is also stainless, steel and incredibly strong and long-lasting. The Swinging Tea Tray is made of wood in the UK.
Q: What do people say who use these trays?
A: Here are some quotes from reviews for the Tipsi Tray:
- “Using this tray to carry multiple items, including drinks, soups etc upstairs is made with ease, with this tray.”
- “It is very well made and has some weight to it, but I’m still amazed every time I use it at how much movement it gets and yet the drinks and other liquids stay put.”
- “If you are often having to carry liquids upstairs, then I would recommend this tray.” – Tessa Healey, United Kingdom
- “I wanted something that I could use for carrying things upstairs as I have problems with my right hand.” – Creek Indian, United Kingdom
- “This is fantastic for them whether carrying a cup of Horlicks to bed or a plate of food. The only gotcha, and I don’t think this can be helped, is that it is wide to carry though doors and stairs – you need to either hold it in front or walk sideways.” – Amazon Customer, United Kingdom
- “I have MS and have to use a cane to get around the apartment, but found that impossible to do when carrying food or drink from the kitchen to the table. The Tipsi Tray fixed that!” – S. Scott, Canada
- “I can use it easily with the tray in one hand and my cane in the other, and am still amazed that there’s no spillage when I get to the table, every time.” – S. Scott, Canada
Q: Where can I buy an unspillable tray?
A: Right here on the Disability Horizons Shop!